Two steps forward, one step back - Krang's progress

Trying new techniques for the first time is always challenging.



Using plaster of paris, I cast a mold of my plasticine Krang. I'm glad I bought the big bucket of plaster because I ended up needing way more than I was expecting.

clearly I could have done a better job wrapping up the electronics

Getting Krang out of the mold was rather challenging. The little plasticine appendages remained trapped in the mold, and while I tried melting them out, in the end I had to spend several frustrating hours fishing out all the little plasticine bits with Q-tips and various skewers.

finally free of plasticine!

I really wish I would have paid more attention to n1cod3mus's and PenfoldPlant's instructables. I didn't really know what I was doing with the liquid latex and I ruined a couple cheap paintbrushes before catching on to the dish soap trick.


latex Krang

When I first pulled latex Krang out of the mold, I was really excited. Even though the mold wasn't perfect, he looked just like my plasticine model.

But when I started to cut off the unnecessary latex and fit in the Furby guts, I ran into a problem.


Either the latex is too thick or the design itself is flawed because the animatronics won't work inside the puppet.

Naturally, I busted out my dremel to try to sand down the latex in some of the thicker areas that I thought were causing problems, and then I promptly blew a hole through the side of Krang's face.

Oh, and I cut off his arms because it seemed like a good idea at the time. So now I just have a latex Krang with a hole in the side of his head and severed arms.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Very nicely done!

Popular posts from this blog

Snow

Flash's Guardians of the Galaxy Birthday Party

Life in Seconds